Thursday, July 8

I Won't Bite (Or Will I?)

A long, long time ago, in a house far, far away, little Becky discovered a phenomenon she would treasure for the rest of her life. It happened one Sunday afternoon, as Mother finished the dishes and Father napped in his chair. The TV was on, and I changed the channel. There on the screen appeared the black and white movie Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, in which the comedic duo meets Dracula, Frankenstein’s Monster and the Wolf Man. And my love of all things scary was born.

Shortly thereafter, I sneaked a read of Ann Rice’s Interview with a Vampire, and Stephen King’s Salem’s Lot, and I fell in love with all things VAMPIRE! But I am a true vampire fan – not one of these Twilight junkies! Oh, how I am weary of hearing about Edward and Jacob!  True, vampires can be classy and wise and maybe even beautiful. But they are also killers of men and women, with long fangs and rank breath and claws. Vampires do not sparkle when sunlight hits them – they burst into flames. And sure, they might indulge in passionate kisses, but only when it precedes chomping down on a jugular. And there are multiple ways to kill them – albeit all of the ways are quite gruesome and quite bloody and quite able to make your skin crawl.

And that’s just vampires. Don’t get me started on zombies and werewolves and serial killers… Ahh, so many scary friends!  Yesterday, I watched Shutter Island, and it reminded me again of how much I love scary movies!  (Thanks, Scarlett, for the recommendation!)

I don’t know what it is about scary flicks that I love so much – The way they scare me? The blood? The psychotic behavior? I’m sure a psychiatrist would say it’s an outlet for my own deviousness or something.

Maybe.

Here’s a list of just some of my favorites:
  • Interview with a Vampire
  • 30 Days of Night
  • The Shining
  • Saw
  • Halloween
  • The Exorcist
  • Psycho
  • Silence of the Lambs
  • Arachnophobia
  • Amityville Horror
  • Jaws
  • The Mist
  • Seven
  • Dawn of the Dead
Pop one of these into the DVD player, turn down the lights (if you dare), snuggle under a blanket, and enjoy!  Better yet, invite me over, and I'll watch with you!

No comments: