Thursday, April 29

Remember Me

The Associated Press reported recently:


"A funeral home in Puerto Rico that made international headlines two years ago is at it again.


Marin Funeral Home has embalmed the body of a young man and put the corpse atop a motorcycle in a hunched-over racing position. The body wears a black cap, black sunglasses and a long-sleeved black T-shirt.

Local television station WAPA says the unidentified 22-year-old shooting victim will be buried Wednesday.

Calls to the funeral home were not returned Tuesday.

Two years ago, the funeral home embalmed a 24-year-old man and kept the body standing upright for during a three-day wake."

While this creeps me out a little, it also makes me chuckle. This is how this poor man will be remembered, at least by the funeral home and by those who follow the Associated Press.  What if he didn't even ride a motocycle while he was alive? 

(I also wonder how they buried him….)

Bruce and I both decided long ago that, when we die, we would like to donate all usable organs to medicine/science and then cremate the rest. And rather than having a funeral, we want to have a party, a celebration with lots of food and music. Sure, we know folks will probably still cry, but we figure that with a nice plate of Sonny’s barbecue or triple chocolate layer cake, maybe those tears will be a little bit sweeter.

This article made me think about how I want to be remembered after I die. Sounds trite, I know, but it IS something for all of us to think about now, while we are still alive. Do I smile enough? Am I a positive influence on others? Do people know how much I love them? Do I tell them?

Do I spend enough time with God? How awkward would it be if He sees me at the pearly gates and says, “Oh yeah, I kinda know you…. Haven’t talked to you in a while.” Not that He would do that, but you get the idea.

How do you want to be remembered?

No comments: