Tuesday, May 4

Why do I feel like this week has been a whirlwind when it's only Tuesday?

My friend Gerry is living in Italy.  While she's there, she is capturing all these great moments via photography and writing, and is sharing them through email with a group of us here in the States.  Some of the things she has written about in her emails are simple, everyday things - like hanging laundry - but she is taking the time to recognize the beauty in those things.  It kind of inspired me to open m eyes a bit more, or at least to make more of an effort.  Here's what I've "seen and heard" lately:

Our dog Dixie had to get stitches in one of her paws today.  $300 dollars later, she emerged from the vet's office hopped up on pain meds and anesthesia, sporting a bright red cast on her foot and one of those Elizabethan plastic cone collars.  Poor thing couldn't even get in the door.  Pathetic and funny at the same time.  Upon further inspection, I noticed that her red cast also has a bright yellow lightning bolt running down the side.  How adorable!  And how touching that the vet's office would take the time to make the cast look a little more fun.  Is it weird that I am jealous of my dog's cool cast?

We went to Lexington Barbecue restaurant tonight with 6 college students and Keith and Leslie.  I'm not a pork fan, but it was good.  Bruce, on the other hand, would eat pork at every meal of his life if I would let him.  He even got these nasty looking (and smelling) things called "pork skins" - which is basically deep fried pork skin.  Disgusting, right?  Well, Bruce loved them, and so did a few of the students.  I much preferred the hushpuppies.
 
Bruce and I watched the movie The Informant tonight.  Best line: "When polar bears hunt, they crouch down by a hole in the ice and wait for a seal to pop up. They keep one paw over their nose so that they blend in, because they've got those black noses. They'd blend in perfectly if not for the nose. So the question is, how do they know their noses are black? From looking at other polar bears? Do they see their reflections in the water and think, "I'd be invisible if not for that." That seems like a lot of thinking for a bear."  Ha ha.  I sure do like polar bears. 

Did you know you can make decent s'mores in the microwave?  I actually think I might prefer them this way.  And I really love how the marshmallows poof up when heated.  Makes it easier for me to mush the chocolate down into the middle where it melts into the ooey-gooey goodness.  I wonder if it would be bad for me to have another one...

It's almost time for bed, so I will forego the additional s'more.  I am looking forward to my bed.  I have this lavender pillow spray from Bath & Body Works.  I sprayed it on my pillow last night, and I really do think it helped me sleep better!  It's quite relaxing!  Highly recommend it.  I am looking forward to that, and to cuddling with Bruce.  Those last few minutes when we're sort of talking, sort of falling asleep are precious to me.  So peaceful...  Night-night!   

No comments: